Thursday, May 21, 2009

52 Great Books to Read

This is not my list. It is a deck of cards that my friend Villar dared me to pick up. I post it here at the request of my friend Figgy. It also allows me to procrastinate for a couple more days while I write up my next book review (the book was done a week ago...the review has not been started).

I've split it into categories according to what I've read and haven't (for anyone that cares). Feel free to post your own lists in the comments section if you like.

Books I have read:
The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
Animal Farm, George Orwell
Lady Chatterley's Lover, D.H. Lawrence
The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, Edgar Allan Poe
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis
Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
The Scarlett Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne

Books I read for class, which means I probably just skimmed heavily, and will most likely have to read again
The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka
To the Lighthouse, Virgina Woolf
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

Books I know the plot to but have never actually read (and by "know the plot" I mean "probably watched the movie," so that's not necessarily saying much)
Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie
Hamlet, William Shakespeare (recently finished)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain
The Color Purple, Alice Walker
Grimm's Fairy Tales, the Brothers Grimm
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, L. Frank Baum
The Godfather, Mario Puzo
The War of the Worlds, H.G. Wells

Books I have never read
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
Wide Sargasso Sea, Jean Rhys
Death of a Salesman, Arthur Miller
Ten Little Indians, Agatha Christie
The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton
The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood
The Stranger, Albert Camus
Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas, Gertrude Stein
Potrait of a Lady, Henry James
The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Waiting for Godot, Samuel Beckett
The Fire Next Time, James Baldwin
Native Son, Richard Wright
Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison
The Hound of the Baskervilles, Arthur Conan Doyle
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston
The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ken Kesey
The Big Sleep, Raymond Chandler
The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand
Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein
The Prophet, Kahlil Gibran

Which, if I didn't leave anything out or lose a card, adds up to 52. Phew...



TV/Music/Book: DJ Shadow, The Private Press (for about 7 days straight now...)

2 comments:

Rutilio said...

This is a not-so-bad list. I'm amazed Victor Hugo is not in there, as well Dovtoyesky. But I'm glad it reminded me of some authors I'd forgotten about and that I surely shouldn't miss in my compiled list of "I've read that". I'm also glad Dan Brown is not in there--funny how I write this up while halfway through Angels and Demons :p

Sin said...

Hugo, good call. Yeah, I'm not sure what the rationale is for the list but given that I've really liked some of the books in the "Books I Have Read" list, it makes me hopeful that the rest of the books I haven't read will be pretty good.