Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Code Monkey

Some of the past weekend was spent helping Rock re-design the back-end code of NobodyComesHere.com. Well, "helping re-design" is too strong a phrase. It might be more accurate to say that first I watched movies while Rock spent hours coding, then I tried very hard to understand as he explained the basics of object oriented programming and PHP, and then I copy/pasted a lot of his original code, deleted certain words, and wrote other words in their place.

I can't say I'm any nearer to writing SQL queries or figuring out what classes to write or how to write a DAO from scratch, but I do know what these things are. And I have some vague concept about the general design of NobodyComesHere.com: there's a database, and data access objects, and a controller...and I think I'm forgetting something. In any case, I found the experience not too unpleasant and, even though I'm not planning to become a programmer any time soon (I still have not forgotten that my only C in college was from the one computer science class I elected to take), I am looking forward to my next coding assignment.

Mood: accomplished
TV/Music/Book: Bridget Jones's Diary. Oh Colin Firth, how do I love thee, let me count the ways...

3 comments:

Rock said...

Don't forget the POPOs which get feed from the DAOs via the MYSQL DB :)

So proud I am of you!

Sin said...

I think I almost understand that! :)

Rock said...

Oh and you forgot to mention what IDE you used :)