Monday, February 15, 2010

Something in the Air

Ah, Valentine's Day. Funny how, even though this is one of the few years where I'm actually dating somebody, I didn't do anything particularly special on February 14th. I guess you could count laundry, bathroom cleaning, and grocery shopping special. Jalapeno poppers from the local mexican restaurant were involved after Rock's and my hard work, so there is that. So while Sunday may not have been a romantic, chocolate-stuffing affair (and in general I'm not one to get too excited about this day anyway) there is something different about Valentine's this year: I've pretty much been celebrating it all week long.

This doesn't mean that I've suddenly become a poster child for heart-shaped Hallmark cards. I mean, I did pester Rock all last week about how he had to buy me a heart-shaped chocolate box, but it's not the heart-shape I care about: I just like any holiday that gives me an excuse to eat large amounts of delectable chocolates (in fact, won't Cadbury cream eggs soon be taking over the seasonal aisle at the grocery store?). And I have been more than a litte giddy about the awesome roses that Rock got on Friday, which came with chocolate frosted cupcakes and was a complete surprise. They look beautiful, and even though I've always felt bad about cutting flowers up, and even though I know I'll feel terrible when the roses start to wilt, I just love how they look. So pretty!

I am liking these SO MUCH :)
When I say I've been celebrating all week long I mean that Valentine's for me pretty much started on February 7th when the Love is in the Air holiday event kicked off in WoW (bet you didn't think that's where this was going...or maybe you did, I am pretty predictable I suppose). Yes, since last sunday I've been trading virtual love tokens, eating virtual chocolates, spraying virtual perfume, and looking for love under a virtual picnic umbrella. Achievements have been gotten and my character is now known as Sinnh the Love Fool. For the next week, while the event continues, I also have the chance of aquiring a Valentine's ooze pet and/or a Big Love Rocket mount (though I'm never that lucky).

What I enjoy best about the WoW holiday is that it's absolutely silly but it's also rather twisted. You don't gift people chocolate to show you care. You pelt them with chocolate samples produced by the Crown Chemical Co. for a cut of the profits. You get rewards for gifting bracelets to the different faction leaders. That sounds nice, until you realize that you are making the bracelets from the bones and teeth of the beasts and humanoids that you slaughter. And there's a mini quest to track down who is really behind the "love sickness" that is plaguing everyone (turns out it's some evil apothecary that wants to use rockets to deploy mind controlling chemicals to everyone at once...evil he is). It's events like this that really remind me how much I love this game :)

No comments: