Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ten Little Indians - Agatha Christie

I remember reading one of Agatha Christie’s mysteries before, one featuring Poirot, but I don’t remember anything about it except that it was a chore to get through. I wasn’t too excited, therefore, when I randomly shuffled this card from my deck. Nevertheless, I have to admit that this was a very good read. Unfortunately for you, I don’t want to say too much about this book because it really needs to be read without any possibility of spoiling the mystery. Actually, I guess it’s good for you that I don’t say too much.

The story doesn’t actually feature Christie’s famous detectives. Actually, no one character is ever the main character throughout the whole novel. The plot is classic, and will undoubtedly sound familiar: a group of strangers are summoned to an isolated island for different, perfectly legitimate reasons, only to be killed off one by one. Now, put that way, it just sounds like the plot of every bad summer-camp-for-randy-teenagers-getting-killed-by-a-freak-in-a-hockey-mask type movie. What you get with Christie, though, is a good narrative of suspense, fear, cabin-fever, and most importantly, one hell of a mystery. I was wondering the entire time, who the hell did it? Believe me, you’ll never guess. Don’t even spoil it by looking this up in anyway. Hence why I’m not linking any articles related to the book. I liked that the plot, with all its twists and turns, is very simplistic. There aren’t any crazy “oh that is not possible!” moments (well, not too crazy), just a really interesting mystery story that gets going right from the start. That's all I can say about it.

21 down, 31 to go.

No comments: