Monday, June 29, 2009

The Golden Compass - Phillip Pullman

Its funny how there are some book reviews that I can't wait to write because I've got a lot to say about the book. Then there are others that I try to put off because I don't have much to say or because the books were so good that I can't find the right stuff to say. But now, for the first time, I completely forgot all about writing this book review. Well, it's not my fault; it just wasn't a hugely memorable book.

I wonder if I'm losing my ability to read children's books. I devoured Harry Potter books when they came out, but that was a while ago, I guess. But reading this book was just not very fun, and it bordered on being pretty boring.

The story takes place on an alternate universe (see, it sounds very Star Trek already, it should have been awesome). In this universe, a human's conscience/soul/imaginary friend/what have you, personifies itself in the shape of an animal (known as a daemon) that is intimately and innately bound to its human. Apparently Pullman got this concept from paintings such as Leonardo Da Vinci’s “Lady with an Ermine,” Giovanni Battista Tiepolo's "Young Lady with a Parrot," and Hans Holbein the Younger's "Lady with a Squirrel," which featured women holding animals. It's not a bad idea and Pullman develops the human/daemon relationship fairly well (though, logistically, I find it impossible to conceive of 6 billion plus animals following 6 billion plus humans around all the time, in the market, at work, in the bathroom, during a one-night stand; what do the daemons do then, what do they eat, what if you don't like your daemon…). Anyway, this alternate universe also features talking armored bears, witches, some ghoulish flying thing named a cliff-ghast, and there are possibly a few other weird creatures in there that I don’t remember.

The story centers on 12-year-old Lyra Belacqua and the sudden dramatic changes that take place in her life when a mysterious group of people start kidnapping children. Sometime prior to embarking on her adventure, and before delving into what passes for this book’s plot, she receives the golden compass, which is like a Ouija board that tells you the truth when you ask it a question (and, possibly, it conjures up the image of that girl that drowned in the lake down the road that a friend of a friend heard someone talk about ages ago). The fact that Lyra can read this compass makes her very very special but, true to the children’s book mystery genre, we don’t find out why, at least not in this book.

Anyway, Lyra sets out to find out what’s happening to the missing children, and eventually she sets out with others to rescue them, and then she finds out what’s happening to them, and then other stuff happens because there needs to be a sequel to this book. What happens to the children is the only thing this plot has going for it so I won’t divulge the details. It’s hard to briefly describe the plot of this book because there are a ton of side plots: Lyra’s parents, the armored bear’s civil war, the witches’ civil war, the nature of Dust (a mysterious particle that people are keen to research regardless of the cost), and the evil machinations of organized religion.

I didn’t mind the personification of organized religion as a dictatorial, conniving, unscrupulous institution. It’s not new. But the dwelling on it and the lengthy discussions on original sin and the explanations on the religious hierarchy and the details on the different political groups was a bit of overkill. I wonder how many kids are able to waddle through all that and keep reading. It just felt like a lot of adult content thrown in there (and by that I don’t mean that it should be rated PG-13 for mild language and suggestive scenes, I mean that it’s like reading a newspaper article about Hamas and Fatah: interesting but somber).

But, I will admit, I did not completely hate this book. I didn’t even mildly hate it. It was all right. Not very memorable and a bit too serious for a children’s story, but set in an interesting alternate world with likable characters (particularly Lyra and the main armored bear).

Oh, and also, the audiobook version is excellent. This is probably why I kept going with the book, and the only reason I got the second book. The story is narrated by Phillip Pullman himself, but all the characters are read by actors. All the voices are great (the voice of Iorek, the armored bear, I had hoped would be different, more like Michael Clark Duncan in The Green Mile, but instead it’s more like Treebeard in The Two Towers…just wrong). My favorite was the voice of Mrs. Coulter, the story’s villain. She sounds very sweet and lovely and innocent and then she sounds like a complete cow, it works so well.

1 comment:

Figgy said...

I'm surprised--I really loved this one. Maybe you shouldn't read the other two, they're not nearly as good.