Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Ups and Downs (and the Gates)

This week started on a sour note. I need to renew my passport, which should really just amount to showing up at a particular destination with some choice documents, forking over way too much cash for a fake-leather bound booklet, and proceeding with life as usual. Not leaving it up to fate, I decided to call ahead and make sure I had the right documents. Picture me, starting out her Monday morning at work, coffee in hand, ready to get the day going, dialing up the number for customer service, asking if so-and-so documents are the ones needed, and getting the bitchiest call center attendant known to man. Ok, A) I realize being a call center attendant is not all daisies and sunshine; I hate talking on the phone too, I get it; I hate people in general, I understand that too. And B) it sounds like you must really hate life cause, after all, you ended up as a call center attendant. But, damn it to hell, why take it out on me? I don't want to relive the tediousness here but in all my time calling customer service numbers I have never had a ruder, meaner, and dumber attendant. A minute into the call I was really regretting that I had no way to record the conversation. Jerk.

Tuesday was considerably much more fun. Rock and I met up after work for dinner and Up. I'd been wanting to see this for some time and, strangely enough, our tiny town was playing it in 3D. Judging from the trailers, it looks like all animated movies will now be offered in 3D. The movie looked very good in 3D, though there are times when the image can look a little blurry, particularly around the edges. It's also funny how your brain adjusts to it after a while and then you no longer seem to notice that it's in 3D. The movie itself was awesome. Of course, I was bawling during the opening sequences. I'm worried that the last animated movie I saw was Wall-E and that also had me bawling at times. Apparently the animated movies are getting to be too emotional for me. I am such a wuss.

Tuesday was also like Christmas, because when I got home I found that my recent Amazon purchase was waiting for me: Stargate SG-1 The Complete Series Collection. Just look at it. It makes me ridiculously happy for some reason and I can't wait to start watching.

It is seriously so shiny...and cubic.
However, Tuesday was also like those Christmases where you have your heart set on getting a certain gift and then you open the box and it's socks or something (I'll be honest, though, I love socks, especially if they are fuzzy or striped or soft). When I opened the Stargate box, I looked over the DVD's and several of them had scratches on them, which displeased me greatly because the Amazon third-party vendor claimed the set was brand-new but they clearly just shrink-wrapped a used set and delivered an item that was clearly not new. I've written a strongly worded email, demanding to know what they plan to do about it and if they will exchange it for a brand-new item or give me my money back. Most likely they will say that those are the breaks. At which point I will slink away with my slightly defective Stargate box, though that doesn't mean I will love it any less. It's ok SG-1, it's not your fault.

Finally, today I was almost sideswiped by some jerk with Florida plates. Like I wasn't even there. I honked my horn like there was no tomorrow and then look over to see that the moron is laughing. Scared to death with my heart about to jump out the roof, I honk again, make a rude gesture to indicate he watch where he's going, and then realize I should probably keep my eyes on the road and watch where I'm going. Did I already mention today that I hate people? I thought so.

And it's only Thursday to boot.

2 comments:

Figgy said...

I REALLY need to go watch "UP". We went to the theater last Friday and had to choose between it and Star Trek. Watched ST and LOVED it. Now I need to find another day to go watch Up.

It's not animated movies that make me cry--it's Pixar. No one does it better. Wall-E had me crying, too.

Sin said...

I really need to go watch Star Trek but I'm probably gonna wait for the dvd. I had to see Up in theaters cause of the 3D, it was so neat. I'm so glad they're doing that with all animated movies.